Monday, October 22

Making Sumerian Bread



I continue to be amazed at Rochester School for the Deaf. I knew today would be no different and I was right. I am amazed at how, by just entering the school premises, you get a gist of energy and even if some of us felt really tired, we were psyched to learn from our mentors and were looking forward to the events of the day.

Easily the highlight of the day at Rochester School for the Deaf was when Mrs. Kipp's Social Studies class made Sumerian bread. I must admit I had no idea what it would look like. Mrs. Kipp said it looked and tasted like hummus.

I helped Mrs. Kipp set up the table and she said she had another surprise for the kids, something that came up during one of her lectures...  "What are dates? So she decided to do this activity... and have the kids eat dates along with it!!


Sumerian era bread was pretty simple. It consisted of flour, olive oil, and water. All they had to do was mix the stuff and then bake it in the oven. The kids were really excited and grouped themselves by 2. I can see that Mrs. Kipp gave instructions but the kids did everything themselves, even warming up the stove. (with close adult supervision, of course!) 

While the bread was waiting to be done, she had prepared another activity. This was still connected to the Sumerian bread lesson. It was about learning to write your name on clay, sort of like what the Sumerians did.. wrote on clay tablets. I think this is an excellent activity and is a pretty interesting one. The kids enjoyed etching their names on the pieces of clay Mrs. Kipp handed out and tried to do their parents' and friends names as well. This made the wait for the bread less of a chore. It passed the time.

I think it is important to demonstrate or show students what the lesson was about. Giving this kind of activity helps the students connect the lesson and gives them a visual representation of what was being taught to them. It is important not only to lecture but to actually give activities that will make the lesson even more interesting.

Many of the students did not like the dates or the bread itself but they said they got an idea about what life must have been during the Sumerian era. They observed that life was simpler back then. No McDonald's!!


As for me, I loved it. The dates weren't so bad but it isn't exactly my preferred snack either. The bread was really great and am wondering if I can recreate the bread. I would need an oven though. Hmm.



No comments:

Never stop smiling not even when you're sad, someone might fall in love with your smile. —  Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez