It is these experiences that make travelling an adventure. I'm pretty sure that the people from America would also be awed at what the Philippines has to offer - white sandy beaches, sunny weather, the Banaue Rice Terraces, the Chocolate Hills, etc. I'm sure that our country can also offer so much.
We went to an outlet mall that offered discounted prices for really well-known brands. The fact that this is what it costs at an outlet mall made me wonder how much it cost in real malls!!
O Sunday, we went to mass at St. Monica's. I actually thought the mass would be like the ones in the Philippines, with an interpreter and all the Deaf people sitting in front. I never imagined that there are masses like the ones I just experienced. Everyone knew each other, the priests were very cordial and friendly. It was like one big community. I think Sir Leo Cabasag said that he wanted to emulate some of the ways the mass was done. Maybe for SROP. The mass did not feel like a formal mass. It was like talking to a friend.
I believe I have benefitted from attending this mass. I haven't attended a mass for some time because I always thought I could pray by myself anyway since the Church near where I live doesn't hold masses with an interpreter. In a way, I felt closer to God and I want my Deaf peers in the Philippines to experience what I felt.
Is there a Deaf priest in the Philippines? I believe I haven't met one yet. Who knows, there could be one in the Philippines and we would not know about it.
I think one of the highlights of the day was eating fresh, healthy food at Alladin's. I love being able to eat healthy food everywhere I turn around. It seems to be more available here in the Americas. I know that in the Philippines, more people are also being health conscious. It is a trend that I don't mind joining in as it is for my health. Again, the portions were big and I shared food with Ms. Pexe. We had spaghetti and salad. We weren't able to eat the whole thing and took out most of the food but it was still an enjoyable affair and we met one of the founders of Discovering Deaf Worlds, David Justice. We also met a masters student from Vietnam, who is studying ASL. I am reminded. of our Deaf leaders at home. I am proud that we also have Hearing people who give their time And effort to help improve the lives of Deaf people in the Philippines. I think that these people would also be inspiring role models for others. Hopefully they will not stop helping and improving the situation of the Deaf.
No comments:
Post a Comment