I met my mentor for the first time today. It was finally great to see her in person. She is an excellent teacher and her teaching strategies are very creative and efficient.
As of today, I'm still pretty much impressed with the surroundings and learning environment. There seem to be books everywhere and opportunities for students to learn how to read.
The classroom setting is very much an elementary English teacher's dream. It has it's own SmartBoard, which makes use of technology in every viable way. I think this makes class more efficient. It also makes the learning environment more interactive. Just like when I realized that I can actually use my elementary teaching strategies towards college students.
Ms. Kipp is a great teacher and it shows because she obviously loves the subject that she teaches. She reads with them when it is time for independent reading. She said it is to set an example. I liked that the books in her classroom were hers and that she had a reading nook. The class only had about 10 mins to do independent reading. I could see that most are readers. I wish my students were also like this. Hopefully it is never too late.
Math was a very interactive class and I think this makes the subject more enjoyable. I could see that the students learned more since Ms. Kipp gives them time to answer and also gives them examples on how to do the exercise.
For language, the students were taught how to recognize or say the themes in a story. This was a great class and I enjoyed it very much despite the jet lag I was having. I learned that bilinguallism starts at an early age so it would be interesting to watch how teachers at the Early Childhood Education center teach their students.
I would like to do something about the reading curriculum of Deaf Filipinos. I want to be able to help them become readers. Maybe go ahead with an English Club at CSB. I would like to be able to learn more about how bilingualism works. I'm looking forward to learning and observing more about it and finding out a way to integrate these into Filipino culture. I would also like to find out which system and teaching strategies would work best for Filipino Deaf students
Friday, October 19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Never stop smiling not even when you're sad, someone might fall in love with your smile. — Gabriel García Márquez
-
In class last week, for Educational Audiology, the Teacher played sounds when half of the class were Deaf. That meant half of the class were...
-
I woke up remembering a poem I wrote when I was around 18.... A simple poem about Being Deaf... It had no title. I sit in a corner watchi...
-
I used to blog most days. I even used to keep a journal, handwritten, no less. Now life just seems to get in the way. It was my goal to ma...
No comments:
Post a Comment